Monday, June 3, 2013


Week One (Substitution) 


Traumas Impact in the Classroom


 
                 It was an average sunny day during recess, students running, riding bikes, and having “clubhouse” meetings under the play set equipment. A group of students came up to me and asked to play tag. It turned out they wanted me to be “it”. Luckily, my co teacher and I had a small group that day. I proceeded to chase and I caught several students. As I went to catch another, I touched the student’s shoulder; big mistake. “Get off of me, you b@#%*h!” The whole school yard was at a standstill. My jaw was nearly on the floor. A wonderful six year old, with a foul mouth. As I started to redirect her, she began running around the yard, yelling at the top of her lungs “stupid!”, “c@#$t!”, “a$$&#@~!” to name a few. My co teacher and I had to chase her around the playground and thankfully her mother walked into the playground to see what had occurred. Her mother was calmed but wanted to know what triggered it. I explained to her the game and how I touched her shoulder. Her mother asked me if I knew the story of what happened to the little girl. I was then informed that this student had been sexually abuse for many years and was receiving treatment for the incident. I can only imagine what she could have done if it was a student that touched her instead of me.

Obstacles in the classroom takes many shapes and forms. In forms of language barriers, cultural differences, environment, and trauma. Trauma can be produced through several events: child neglect, abuse, school and community violence, domestic violence, homelessness, bullying, traumatic loss, medical trauma, natural disasters, terrorism, and war. (Curtin, 2008; Internet) As a result of these traumatic events, students behavior may suffer and will be evident through language and communication difficulties, decline in academic performance, social and interpersonal skills halted and or decreased, lack of focus, and lack of self-esteem to name a few. But due to these behaviors, some teachers tend to quickly label a child rather than take the time to get to know the student as an individual.

“Creating Trauma- Sensitive Schools: Reducing the Impact of Trauma as a Barrier to Student Learning” is an article that addresses the importance of proper methods to teach students that may have suffered through pain or lost in order for them to be effective learners and determined teachers. Through acknowledgment, respect, proper trainings for teachers, collaboration with outside support services and a mutual understanding of the issue at hand. This approach is agreeable because teachers are able to identify “signs” of abuse, use resources to make assessments, and discuss the issue privately. In my experience, a hug will not always resolve the issue of misbehavior, but rather talking to the student and not at them. Effective communication and informative education is the key to succeed with students and their peers in the classroom.


Curtin, Jenny C., (2008) Creating Trauma-Sensitive Schools: Reducing the Impact of Trauma as a Barrier for Student Learning. Retrieved from http://www.istss.org/source/stresspoints/index.cfm?fuseaction=Newsletter.show

National Child Traumatic Stress Network-Child Trauma (2013) The Effects of Trauma on Schools and Learning. Retrieved from: http://www.ncstn.org/print/80

(Still awaiting for textbook)

 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kimberly. Thank you so very much for sharing! What a powerful story and something that any one of us could face in our careers. I have found that some children love the physical connection with teachers like hugs and high fives. I was also told to stop kids from hugging and do the high five or fist bump. On my first day in the K-2 building this year I saw my own principal giving students big hugs. I still feel personally confused as to the line to draw. I hope your book arrives soon - there are some great articles!

    ReplyDelete